Visualization of anatomical and physiological processes of the body plays an indispensable role in today’s clinical healthcare as well as basic science research. This is the interdisciplinary field of imaging, which encompasses hardware instrumentation, acquisition methodology, contrast agent development, post-processing analysis, and the application of any combination of the above in biomedical research. The Imaging Track curriculum is designed to cover both the breadth and depth in the training, and to prepare students for research in the development or application of biomedical imaging technologies.

Masters Students

M.S. students within the Imaging Track while meeting the general requirements of the degree programs must successfully complete the two required courses below:

  • BME 5401 – Medical Imaging Systems
  • BME 6640 – Introduction to Image Processing

Moreover, students need to complete at least 3 units of 5000-level or above imaging-related elective courses listed below.

Ph.D. Students

Students must fulfill the general course work requirement as described in the Ph.D. program. Due to the diverse and interdisciplinary nature of biomedical imaging, there is no additional credit-hour requirement from the imaging track. Students should consult with research advisors and the track advisor courses to determine which imaging-related courses best meets the students’ curricular and research needs. In general, the courses taken should aim to prepare students with general knowledge of basic image acquisition and processing techniques and in-depth understanding of the specific fields related to the student’s research.

The Ph.D. qualifier examination is designed to test students’ understanding of both general imaging techniques as well as research specific fields. Materials for general imaging techniques, which account for 25% of the exam, are based on the topics covered in Medical Imaging Systems and Introduction to Medical Image Processing courses. The remaining 75% of the exam will be on imaging aspects of the student’s individual research, made up in consultation with the student’s research advisor.

The following are current courses that deemed appropriate for students in the imaging track. Please note that not all courses are offered every year and that new courses are continually being added.

Life-Science Fundamentals

Students in this track must follow the standard guidelines relevant to their Life-Science Fundamental courses.

Imaging Track Fundamentals

Mandated: 1 of 1 required

  • BME 6401 – Medical Imaging Systems

Selected: 1 of 3 required

  • BME 6250 – Biomechanics II
  • BME 6302 – Biomaterials II
  • BME 6440 – Neural Engineering

Imagine Advanced Electives

Biomedical Engineering

  • BME 5480 – Principles of Ultrasound
  • BME 6330 – Principles of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
  • BME 6500 – Mathematical Foundations of Imaging
  • BME 6640 – Introduction to Digital Image Processing
  • BME 7310 – Advanced Topics in Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
  • BME 7320 – 3D Reconstruction Techniques in Medical Imaging


  • PHCEU 7110 – Molecular Imaging


Questions regarding the Imaging track should be directed to Dr. Edward W. Hsu (801 585-7550).